Thursday, September 01, 2005

Being Flexible...A way of life

So today I find myself at Jefferson Senior High in South Central LA. I was told that I would be a substitute teacher on a day-by-day basis, however, when I arrive I learn that I am to take over a Special Education class until October 31, 2005. Are you serious? I was not in any way prepared to be teaching so soon. In addition to my own apprehensions, I discovered this morning that my students do not have any books! How do you learn without books? The school has no materials and the there is no new teacher orientation. I, a political scientist, am expected to teach functional math, applied reading and writing, community orientation, self-care, and computer access for the handicapped without any books. I still haven't met the principal. The school does not have paper or writing supplies. Today I will do the impossible...today I will become superwoman. *I'll revisit this blog after-school to share how the day ended up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home