Wednesday, November 02, 2005

"out in the streets....they call it Muuuurrrrddaaaaa"

While in mid-sentence, a knock at the door redirects my attention to a mid-size young man accompanied by the academic dean. The pass in his hand indicated that today was his first day and he would be joining three of my classes this term. As he walks to his seat, other students greet him and ask,"hey man, how long you been out?" I am puzzled because I immediately assume he was locked up. While the other students continue working and as I add his name to my roll book, he begins a conversation with me about being locked up...

Student: "yeah miss, i ain't tryin to go back there no more. I just got out of juvie and after I left juvie they sent me to the county jail."

Me: "Its good that we all make efforts to change the path of our lives. What were you in for?"

Student: "they almost gave me life, miss. I was in for Attempted Murder."

Me: "I see. How old are you?"

Student: "17"

What do you say to this? My own infraction with the law resulted in the suspension of my driver's license. I have never been to jail let alone faced with a life sentence. For this student, the case isn't closed. He could still be sent to jail for a life sentence. The next day he arrives to class in all blue. Blue sweatshirt, jeans, blue and white chucks. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home